Friday 27 May 2011

Analyzing Comedic Encounters

I've just been thinking about how I talk to comedians when I meet them. It's completely odd, now that I think of it. You adore their work and know about their lives for months, years even. Then when you meet them, they have no idea who you are. You snatch them for a photo, they sign what you wish, and in between, you try and discuss as much as you can with them about themselves, their favourite things, how you found them. It's love from an unprecedented person.

To paraphrase (as in, paraphrase a LOT cos I'm terrible with quotes) Joe Rogan, "It's an incredible amount of appreciation. And that's what gets addicting." I'll fix this later, it's from a Citizen Radio Interview recently posted. Near the end.

So I suppose it's fun for the artists when they have energy, but there have been times I've felt guilty. For example, when I saw Eddie Izzard, he had just performed for 2 and a half hours, 3 hours with intermission. I felt I had to be incredibly brief when I met him at 12 am because he looked like he was going to nod off any minute.

On the thread of photos, I think photo-bombing is rather disgraceful. To not talk to the person and pop your head in like you know the person is revolting. Though I have to admit, seeing my friend's Dad pop his college-aged head into a photo with a load of exhausted looking Ramones looked rather cool. You get the achieved result, but I think it's an invasion of privacy.

Then there's the people who want to solely touch celebrities. My Mum is friends with a member of the Royal Canadian Farce and she's told stories of people snatching at her walking at social events.

Anyways, I was just pondering: Why is it that we need photos and signatures? Why can't we just go up to them and chat? I can't picture simply talking for some reason. I suppose some people are just wanting to associate themselves with the fame too. For example, Martha Graham (creator of Modern Dance) was asked for her signature which she happily gave. But then the spectator said "Great! But who are you?" and she snatched it back with the bark of "Find out.". Rightfully so. Or perhaps it's because there's usually a good line of people behind you, wanting signatures, and to yabber with the comedian or musician or whatever of your choice would upset the others.

Why do you think people want their photos with celebrities? Is it due to the fame? Because of the great things they've done? The need to have something to do to keep your foot in the door? To have the memories?

Please comment what you think. I need feedback, otherwise I become mildly sad due to the fact that only 7 people read this, and only one or two of them read it consistently. There you go, I too am driven by some mild form of appreciation.

Julianna xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment